11/07/2005

How was RCIA?

I'm exhausted, so I have to keep this short. I just got back.

It was okay. Nothing life-changing, at least not tonight. Usually, the priest teaches the class, but tonight, the youth pastor did. He is . . . easily distracted. I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, I feel like we touched on a lot of different things, but barely covered the intended topic for tonight, which was Jesus: His Person and Natures.

One interesting thing we discussed was that Jesus, as God, was omnicient even in the womb, i.e. He was fully aware and still creating life while He Himself was being knit inside of Mary. That's sort of mind bending, isn't it?

Other than that, most of the ground covered was not new to me, and until the class moves more into Catholic theology and less into basic Christian theology, I'm not expecting that many surprises. Interestingly, the woman sitting next to me was a 45-year-old cradle Catholic who has attended church her whole life and still doesn't know a thing about scripture or the faith, which is why she signed up for RCIA. She was shocked when I knew the answer to why Jesus said "My God, why have you forsaken me?" on the cross and which Psalm He was referencing. "How do you know all that?" she asked incredulously. "Bible Church," I replied with a shrug. I'm guessing eleven years of Bible-saturated fundamentalist Protestantism will either make me teacher's pet, or the problem child.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If nothing else, you'll probably have more detailed and interesting questions than the other students. I've been amazed in my RCIA classes that I'm the almost the only one who has actually asked any questions. I have at least one almost every week, I think that one of the other students has asked one once. Now we really haven't gotten into the meaty issues yet, though. It looks like my classes will get much more intense after "period of inquiry" is over and we have the Rite of Acceptance in two weeks.

11/08/2005 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My opinion: ask every question you can about the biblicity of the RCC. What's gonna blow you away is that it's ALL THERE. The bible is a Catholic book.

11/08/2005 09:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hate to say this but you really are entering the Mission Field when you enter the Catholic Church. You're going to find that most Catholics haven't got a clue as to what they believe and why. You'll soon be rolling up your sleeves and teaching. That's why you've been called Home -- to make a difference from WITHIN.

11/08/2005 11:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home