11/07/2005

I Made the Call

Well, I did it. I called my local parish to ask about RCIA. RCIA stands for Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults, which as far as I can tell is something like "Catholicism 101" and a prerequisite for confirmation. I just took a deep breath, dialed the number . . . and got a machine! "Press 1 if you know your party's extension, press 2 for mass times, press 0 to reach the operator . . ." I don't know why I found this funny, but I did. I pressed 0, got the operator, and asked if it was too late to sign up for RCIA classes. I fully expected her to say yes. But to my surprise, she said she didn't think so, and gave me the home number and e-mail for the lady in charge of RCIA.

I sent an e-mail and I'm waiting for the reply. At this point, I'm hoping I can still slide in under the wire -- the class started a month ago, but I'm a quick study, I think I'll catch up. It's just that I want to start learning NOW! Not next fall. What would I do with myself for a whole year in the meantime? Aside from that, starting RCIA now would give me the option to take first communion this Easter as opposed to Easter 2007. I don't know if I'll be ready to do that by then, but I don't want to be in a situation where I am ready and then have to wait another year. That, to put not too fine a point on it, would SUCK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home