11/03/2005

Fear of the Lord

I have been thinking of the fear of the Lord (Proverbs 23:17). I keep thinking that if I really feared Him, I'D DO WHAT HE SAYS!

When I was young, I knew if I disobeyed Daddy I was risking a belt to the bottom. I knew he loved me, and I loved him, but he didn't mess around when it came to discipline. That said, my daddy is a mere man. How much more should I walk in respect and trembling fear of the God of the universe? How terrified and in awe should I be that He knows my name, knows who I am, and cares about how I behave?

Yes, His mercies are infinite, but that doesn't mean I'm entitled to them! I have to work out my salvation in fear and trembling, like the Bible says. I'm reminded of President Reagan -- "Trust but verify." I trust that I am saved by the blood of Jesus, but I want to do everything I can to verify to God that I am truly trying to follow His Son in the way of righteousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home