3/11/2007

Pray for me.

I'm teaching RCIA tomorrow night -- as in adults with preconceptions, not 4th graders who more or less blindly accept every word I say. I am prepared in many ways by my background in politics (particularly concerning the subject matter, which is the fifth commandment, i.e. pro-life issues), but still ... to be asked to give this lecture is intimidating and awesome at the same time. I am looking forward to it, but I am quite scared of messing up -- please pray that the Holy Spirit will work through me to bring people in the class to a closer and better understanding and appreciation of the Lord's teaching on Life issues.

It is so strange to be in this position. From "I could never be Catholic" to trying to convince others in less than two short years ... it is amazing what God can do if you allow Him to move you in uncomfortable ways.

Please also pray for my family, in particular my father. I try not to talk about them much on the blog in case they ever discover it, but I have to ask for prayers on this -- my dad told me he's been thinking a lot about Catholicism since I converted. He's even been watching Fr. Corapi on EWTN (those of you who know my father will laugh knowingly at this). He has a few obstacles in his way, but they are the same ones I had when I wrote this post, and I entered the Church less than six months later. So pray. Pray God's will be done, and that my father be open to God's will, even if it means losing face in the aftermath of some pretty strong statements. Been there, done that. It's hard. But SO worth it. If (and when!) my father receives the REAL Eucharist for the first time .... well, I can't even think about it without tearing up and getting anxious for him. So please pray.

My husband says if my dad and my dad's good friend/ex-pastor convert to Catholicism (against all odds and in addition to myself), he's putting HIS dad in for sainthood. I agree. John H., pray for us!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you, and for your dear father... What joy that would be!

3/12/2007 10:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think God differentiates between the Christian denominations? Seems like someone living a good life and living the Word would be fine in His book no matter what church they go to, right? I see why you are eager for your father to have a similar experience as you did, but is he truly better off as a Catholic?

I am Episcopalian, which some people call Catholic Lite, LOL. And I am examining my faith deeply this Lent, and reading about other denominations. It seems to me that denomination is a human construct, not a Godly one.

3/13/2007 03:20:00 PM  
Blogger K.H. said...

Rebecca,

How right you are. Denomination is absolutely a human construct. Christ founded only one Church. The word "Catholic" means "universal," as in the entire body of Christ throughout the universe. Christ prayed that His believers would be united. The Catholic (aka Universal) Church was the only Church around for most of the history of Christendom, until humans begin splitting off over differences of opinion.

You are absolutely right, denominations are not of God.

3/13/2007 08:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home