3/25/2007

I've been tagged.

I'm sure you've seen these before: blog memes. This is the first time I've been tagged (thanks, Anne), so here goes nothing. Here are the rules:

People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own 6 weird things as well as stating this rule clearly! Three people need to be tagged and their names listed. Finally a comment needs to be left on each tagged person’s blog…


Six weird things about me? I don't know if I can narrow it down to just six. Let's see here ....

1. I don't just loathe mayonnaise, I fear it. My younger sister used to chase me around the house with two pieces of white bread just oozing with the stuff, and I would run away shrieking. I would resort to mild violence, if necessary, to keep her away from me. This was as late as high school. To this day, if someone in my household requires mayonnaise on some food item, I insist my husband deal with it. I will not keep it in my fridge on a regular basis, where I might accidentally brush against it while reaching for the ketchup. If my husband has been eating it, I make him brush his teeth before kissing me. And if it touches my food by mistake, like someone's mayonnaise-infested burger brushed up against mine on the serving tray, I will cut away the entire "contaminated" section and throw it away before eating the rest.

2. All that said, I like spinach dip. Yes, I know it contains mayonnaise. But I can't see the mayonnaise.

3. I don't notice my own accent (Southern California), but when I hear it emerging in my son, it grates on my nerves. Dude, fer rill. I have no idea how anyone can stand to hear me talk, and I have asked my husband to make a concerted effort to talk more when our son is around so maybe he'll grow up sounding more like the mid-Atlantic city boy he actually is than a transplanted beach bum like his mom.

4. My favorite music genre is trip-hop. Moby, Mono, Morcheeba, Portishead ... it's not weird that people in general like these artists, it's weird that a devoutly religious, politically conservative, SUV-driving suburban mommy who has never "tripped" on any illegal substances in her life likes them.

5. My other favorite music is Latin chant. My mom called the other day while I was listening to my "Renaissance Classics" CD, heard it in the background, and asked "WHAT are you listening to?" I told her "Church music," and her reply was a bewildered, "Why?" So I guess it's weird.

6. I can't stand thinking about veins. Apparently I share this phobia with Shellie. I don't like to look at them or even think about them (just writing this section of the post is making my skin crawl and my hands go clammy), it makes me squirm to get my pulse or blood pressure checked, and blood tests require me to lie prone or I will pass out and throw up. I am somewhat better about this since having a C-section that required me to have an IV for a day, but still, just thinking about it ... ugh. (Needles aren't the problem, as I'm fine with shots so long as I know they're intramuscular -- it's thinking about the needles going into veins that bothers me.)

Weird enough for you? Okay. Dixie, C.J., and Tanya, you're next. TAG.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I am really with you on 1, and somewhat on 6, though not quite as intensely as in the past. In fact, when I was about 4 or 5, I made my college-aged sister a mayonnaise sandwich unsolicited as an act of loving self-sacrifice. I thought everyone liked it but me. So I risked touching the mayonnaise as I slathered it on the white bread just for her. That was it, mayonnaise and white bread. I remember the queasy look on her face when I showed it to her and how she said she'd eat it later. At least before this whole pet food contamination scare, there's a good chance I'd have eaten dry dog or cat food before mayo were the choices that limited; not sure about the moist stuff.

Um, just had to share!

3/26/2007 12:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A mayo phobia! I am laughing out loud! I have to share this with my hubby because he thinks I stand alone as weird. Not that that's weird or anything. :::snort:::

And do I know what you mean about the ick-factor of even TYPING the V word. I took out my sentence saying "No. Way. are these words staying on my blog in perpetuity. Edit anyone?" :D

What fun! Loved reading your entry!

3/26/2007 01:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted my answer, but I did it on count it all JOY, my other blog.

Cheri

3/29/2007 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Sister Spitfire said...

I don't think I have your email address, but I was searching the Sonlight archives for something today when I happened on this link. thought it would make you smile!!

http://archive.sonlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1035631&postcount=4

11/17/2007 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home