4/16/2008

Will Bush do the Blair thing?

So, with the Papal visit and accompanying media circus in full swing, the Big Rumor is that President Bush has been wading his way across the Tiber for the last several years and just may convert once his term is up. I'm a bit skeptical, but I would have been a bit skeptical of my own conversion if I'd heard it as a rumor beforehand, too.

On the one hand, I pray for President Bush that he will embrace the fullness of truth in the Catholic Church. I'm all for restoring the body of believers, one convert at a time. That said, I find myself feeling the same frustration I had with Tony Blair -- if he's converted in his heart, what's with the delay in acting on it?

I know, all things in God's good time, but the man knew he wanted to be a Catholic and put it off until politically convenient. And if that's not what he did, he at least had to know it would look that way. So he's either spineless or .... well, I don't know what. In charity, I will assume he had his reasons to wait. But in general, I'm a firm believer that when you realize the truth about the Church, you don't sit on your hands and do nothing until the timing is perfect. Was it the Ethiopian eunuch who said "Baptize me NOW!"? I want to see that kind of reckless abandon from world leaders who make this decision. Be a fool for Christ. Set the example. The world is watching.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Mike said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/29/2010 05:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home